Sunday, 6 June 2010

Anthropomorphism


These three sausage dogs are taken out to Harajuku in Tokyo every Saturday afternoon by their owner, specifically for the purpose of showing them off to passers by, who gush about how cute they are and take their photo. It's very common in Japan to see dogs dressed up in 'clothes', often more human-like than these red coats. Often dogs have bows in their hair and "skirts" round their middle. I've seen white dogs in Japan with their fur dyed pink.

Maybe these dogs don't mind the coats, but the sunglasses are almost certainly annoying.

I don't often take photos of dressed-up dogs because I don't want to encourage the owners. I'd really prefer to give the owners a good telling off for degrading their dog and treating it like a fashion accessory.

2 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! I'm with you on that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Maybe we should start being rude and telling these people what we really think.

    ReplyDelete